under/over - react

Yesterday, while sipping machine-made coffee, I had a conversation about how I react to situations. Z was describing an incident that happened when we were both in school. About how I reacted (or did not react) after we caught up to two friends who had gotten lost while on a trip in Chennai. Z and I both knew the route to varying degrees but instead of splitting up to guide the gang we took off into the same auto-rickshaw. Of course, in the hope that the other auto would follow us. That, however, didn't happen. Anyway. I don't quite remember the incident but apparently I had asked my red-in-the-face-with-anger friend , "But you are here now, aren't you?"

I tend to underreact (which *is* a word) a bit sometimes - most times. I think that how I react is governed by what the situation is about. For example, if it is about something material or money - like losing money even if it's a huge wad - I don't react wildly, not outwardly at least. Of course, it hurts to be in whatever that situation may be but I strongly believe that it is not worth getting a heart-attack over.

I wouldn't be over-excited and lose sleep in anticipation of a favourite t.v. show/movie/book or the most incredible rock show. I wouldn't be inconsolable if I missed them as I did when Iron Maiden played in B'Lore (It would've been a different matter if that had been Metallica. ) Celebrities don't thrill me.

Even when people are celebrating something quite awesome, I might not show any excitement. If you jump up-down-left-right and tell me India that has won the World Cup, I would most probably ask, "So what?". No, that's not just because I don't watch cricket or any other sport for that matter. I am sure that some people sometimes find it irritating when I am all laid-back when there is humdrum and chaos around. That's me! I like being laid-back. Why waste your emotions and energy on trivial things?

There is a negative part to all this (There always is a negative). There are times - critical times- when it is absolutely essential that I do something and I don't know how to react. At crucial moments, my decision making is quite hampered. It takes me forever to reach a decision and when I do I am left wondering if it was right or close to being right.

What kind of a reactor (that's not even funny) are you? Do exaggerate and blow up simple issues? If yes, then what kind of issues makes you attain critical mass?

Posted in Labels: |

3 comments:

  1. Deeps Says:

    Nuclear reactor :-D. I have a reaction to everything and anything. I get emotional about small things and passionately voice out opinions though it might not really be "appropriate" at that particular situation. But I believe being emotional is being human.

    My hubby's like you. He's calm and controlled no matter what happens. He'll be sitting still while I may be jumping up and down. He says exactly what you said - "Why waste your emotions and energy on trivial things?" :). Thats probably why opposites attract ;-) :).

  2. Preethika Says:

    @deeps - I'm gald that there are other females (ok,at least one) whose hubby reacts this way. Mine does the same too (ok, he admited it in the post. Fine!). And yes, opposites do attract. :-)

    @ biju - Well, I beleive in reacting outwardly and letting it out, than bottling it up inside. Cos every human reacts to a situation that affects them, what differs is how they deal or portray it. You don't show it and ppl think u don't react.

    And we women react it out and get over with it. Jus like how we cry n get over things. Men, on the contrary bottle it up and brood over though they claim that they don't.

    Being excited about something and losing sleep is nothing wrong. I see it as enjoying even little things in life... Afterall every day u can't have something big in ur life...

  3. Bijesh Says:

    @deeps - :)

    @pree - men bottle up *emotions* sometimes, I agree. but the being laid-back part is usually truly just that and not a case of hiding the reaction. I am, also, especially talking about reacting to trivial (maybe it doesn't appear trivial to everyone) things.